- Teens can shop in stores & online with a real debit card
- Parents can monitor all account activity
- There are no hidden fees or charges
What it is
Order and control in the chaotic world of teen spending
- Teens get an actual debit card they can use anywhere Debit MasterCard® is accepted (with their own name on it)
- Using a debit card in a controlled environment provides a greater opportunity for teens to budget and spend wisely
- Anyone 13 years or older can have one – they just need their parent to open an account for them
Find out how parents and teens are making the most of Student Accounts. Real-life examples
- Track your teen's spending in real time
- Set account permissions to keep your teen's spending under control
- Receive notifications and alerts for high spending and low balance
- Set up convenient, recurring transfers. (So your teens won't always be asking for money.)
- Make simple one-time transfers
- Transfer money to your teen even in an emergency – right from your computer or mobile phone
- Your teen can shop in stores or online with a Student Account debit card – it's more convenient than cash
- The card can be used anywhere Debit MasterCard® is accepted
- Your teen won't always have to ask for cash – you can add money to your teen's account online, whenever they need it
- You can load money onto your teen's card even in an emergency
- Managing money helps teens become financially responsible
- When your teen sees where their money goes, it helps them spend wisely
When considering a teen debit card, it's important to look at the total cost. With PayPal, there are no fees for activation, loading, or account maintenance. We don't hide any fees in our terms and conditions either. Quite simply, our fees are low and easy to find. See below.
PAYPAL STUDENT ACCOUNT & STUDENT CARD
OTHER PREPAID CARDS
|Activation Fee||Free||Up to $20|
|Month Maintenance Fee||Free||Up to $5 each month|
|Loading Fee||Free||Up to $5 each transaction|
|Card Replacement||Free||Up to $15|
|Buying||Free||Usually Free, sometimes $1|
|Minimum Load Amount||$0||Up to $20|
|U.S. ATM Withdrawal||$1 USD (plus any amount charged by the ATM owner)||Up to $3 USD (plus any amount charged by the ATM owner)|
|Sending money to friends and family||Free||Not all prepaid cards allow users to easily send money to anyone with a phone number|
|Receiving money from friends and family|| |
Free when the sender uses PayPal balance or bank.
2.9% + $0.30 USD to receive card-funded payments** from within the U.S.
3.9% + $0.30 USD to receive card-funded payments from outside the U.S.
|Up to $5 each transaction|
|Receiving money after sending a money request|| |
Free when requesting from the parent who opened the account or from another Student Account created by the same parent
|Up to $5 each transaction|
2.9% + $0.30 USD to receive a payment from within the U.S.
3.9% + $0.30 USD to receive a payment from outside the U.S.
|Not all prepaid cards allow users to sell|
|Withdrawal Inside a Bank|| |
$3 USD if a signature is required
|Varies by card|
|Currency Conversion||Our exchange rate includes a 2.5% fee||Varies by card|
|Non-U.S. ATM Withdrawal||1%||Up to 2% or $3.95|
|Non-U.S. Purchase||1%||Up to 2%|
**Card funded payment means a payment that is fully or partially made by credit card, debit card, PayPal Pay Later or Buyer Credit.
Receive $15 when you set up a recurring transfer into your Student Account no later than September 30, 2011 ("Offer"). Offer begins August 30, 2010 at 12:00:00 AM PST and ends September 30, 2011 at 11:59:00 PM PST. The $15 USD will be transferred into your account within 8 weeks after you qualify, as long as your account is in good standing.
To receive the Offer, you must: 1) have a U.S. PayPal account in good standing, 2) be a PayPal Top Customer, 3) have or open a new Student Account by September 30, 2011, 4) set up a weekly, biweekly, or monthly recurring transfer to your teen’s Student Account for the first time between August 30, 2010 and September 30, 2011, and 5) the recurring transfer into the Student Account must remain active for a minimum of 30 days in order to receive this cash back Offer.
Maximum amount allowed under this Offer is limited to $15 for all student accounts under one parent account. If you are a Top Customer and have previously set up a recurring payment into a Student Account, you are not eligible for this Offer. If you have opened and closed a new Student Account within the last 12 months where you also participated in a previous Student Account Offer, you will also not be eligible to participate in this Offer. Recurring transfer options are accessible from the Parent’s Student Account Overview page.
PayPal reserves the right to cancel, suspend or modify part of or this entire Offer at any time without notice, for any reason in their sole discretion. This Offer cannot be resold, transferred or combined with any other Offer or discount.